The rumored layoffs at Research In Motion are a necessary evil

The rumored layoffs at Research In Motion are a necessary evil

:(
Layoffs ... It's never a fun topic to discuss. But we have to address what's happening and talk about it openly and honestly.
Over the last few days we've seen many references to another big round of layoffs at Research In Motion. And quite honestly, while it's just a rumor at this point, it makes perfect sense.
Before we talk about RIM, let me say that this article is not about putting a positive spin on something. Layoffs suck for many of those affected, at least in the short term. Before I started my career in financial markets (2000 through 2011) I lived in Ottawa and worked as an engineer for Nortel Networks. With a lot of luck involved, I left Nortel behind about 6 months before the big round of cuts made under CEO John Roth. Little did I know that most of my Nortel friends would eventually lose their jobs.
It was painful for everyone involved. But you know what? These people made it through. They moved onto other, more rewarding jobs. Most of them are happier now. So, while layoffs do suck, they are often necessary and they push people to make changes that ultimately make them stronger. I've watched this happen at dozens of companies over the years. So let's talk about RIM.

No comments:

Post a Comment